David J. Philipps
- J.D., University of Illinois College of Law, 1987
- B.A., History, Political Science, and Honors Program, Loyola University Chicago, 1984
- United States Supreme Court
- Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Illinois Northern District
- Illinois Central District
- Illinois Southern District
- Indiana Northern District
- Indiana Southern District
Bar Association Membership:
- National Association of Consumer Advocates; Founding Member and Board of Directors (NACA)
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys (NACBA)
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- 2014 U.S District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Excellence In Pro Bono And Public Interest Service Award Recipient
- 2011 Private Consumer Lawyer of the Year
David Philipps' practice consists mainly of consumer litigation, on both an individual and class basis, advocating for consumers who have been defrauded in a variety of ways. Mr. Philipps is most well known for his representation of consumers who have been subjected to abusive and illegal actions by debt collectors.
From 1987-1988, he served as law clerk to Justice Benjamin K. Miller of the Illinois Supreme Court. In 1988, he joined the firm of Beeler, Schad & Diamond, P.C., in Chicago, Illinois, where his practice consisted of securities fraud and consumer litigation. In 1991, Mr. Philipps began litigating for consumers under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. In 1995, Mr. Philipps became a shareholder in that firm, where he continued to practice until late 1999 when he left the firm to co-found the law firm of Gomolinski & Philipps, Ltd., which is now known as Philipps & Philipps, Ltd., in Southwest suburban Chicago.
In his more than 20 years of practice, Mr. Philipps has represented hundreds of consumers in federal court, in both individual cases and class actions, under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act ("FDCPA"). Mr. Philipps has been an active member of the National Association of Consumer Advocates since its founding in 1995 and has been a featured speaker on the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act on numerous occasions.